HomeBlogFood & TreatsFoods That Are Unsafe for Dogs 

Foods That Are Unsafe for Dogs 

Foods That Are Unsafe for Dogs 

Foods That Are Unsafe for Dogs 

As a pet parent, one of your top concerns is no doubt your dog’s safety and wellbeing. While it can be tempting to share your favorite foods with Fido, it’s important to know that there are multiple foods that can be downright dangerous for your pup, and many that are unsafe long-term and could lead to health complications. Here’s an overview of foods that are unsafe for dogs and what you should know about making sure your dog is getting the best when it comes to diet and nutrition—

List of Dangerous Foods for Dogs

Multiple foods can be dangerous to dogs, and some can even be fatal when consumed. Here’s a brief list of dangerous foods for dogs—this list is not inclusive and your vet should always be consulted if you have any questions about food safety for pets:

  • Onions. Onions, as well as garlic and chives, can cause gastrointestinal upset for your pup and can even cause red blood cell damage. The symptoms may take a few days to develop, so if your pup has consumed foods in the onion family, seek medical care ASAP.
  • Chocolate. Theobromine, which is found in chocolate and in high concentrations in dark chocolate, is toxic to dogs and can lead to kidney failure. 
  • Macadamia nuts. Macadamia nuts are particularly toxic to dogs and can cause immediate and tragic effects on your dog’s nervous system, including paralysis. 
  • Xylitol. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is found in a variety of foods and products, such as gum and toothpaste. While we may love the sweetness this chemical compound provides, it’s highly toxic to pets.
  • Avocados. Avocados contain persin, a substance that’s found on the leaves, fruits, and seeds of the plant. This can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, and sometimes more serious consequences if consumed in large amounts. 
  • Alcohol. Alcohol is a toxin that can have negative effects on both humans and animals. Even in small doses, the effects on a pup can be major, leading to sickness and even nervous system damage in some cases. 
  • Grapes (and raisins). Grapes and raisins are known to cause kidney failure and liver damage—sometimes quite severely—when consumed by pets. 
  • Cooked bones. While raw bones are safe for pets to consume, cooked bones can splinter when eaten, leading to severe and deadly choking. 

What Should I Do If My Pet Has Eaten a Dangerous Food?

If your dog has consumed dangerous food, the first thing that you should do is call your vet. Your veterinarian can advise you on what to do next, and may recommend that you make your way to a pet emergency room. 

Take Care of Your Dog

Pets should never eat human foods; it’s always in a pet’s best interest to stick to their own veterinarian-approved diet. Make sure you keep dangerous foods out of reach. To help keep your pet safe, investing in pet training that can target counter-surfing and other bad behaviors is recommended. To learn more about dog training near you, call Happy Pup Manor today.

Maybe You'll Like

Have A Question?